3 Challenges Of A Growing Organisation
You would be hard pushed to find a serious leader who didn't hope for and work towards growth, both personally and for their organisation. Growth is the fruit of a healthy organisation but beware, there are challenges that hide in the shadows of growth waiting for the right opportunity to pounce and derail the momentum you've experienced.
Here are 3 Common Challenges Of A Growing Organisation with some application questions to help you neutralise their impact ;
1. COMFORT of a Growing Organisation
When growth is around, there is a sense of motivation and excitement. However, something else begins to creep around too... COMFORT. A pitfall of any growing organisation is believing there is a finish line, a time to kick back and put your feet up. In some instances this is appropriate, for health and strategic reasons, but successful organisations never rest for too long. They are resting to reload and hit the growth curve again and again and again.
- How do you keep breaking growth barriers?
- Where can you see people switching off and what could you do about it?
- How can you bring a healthy balance of resting and reloading without simply getting too comfortable?
2. COMPLEXITIES of a Growing Organisation
As with all things that grow, they get bigger and more complicated. Relationships are challenged, organisational structure requires a second look and the systems that got you here today will clearly not get you to your next milestone... things just get very complex when you grow.
- How could you keep things simple without compromising growth?
- Review your current systems and processes, evaluating if they can get you to your next milestone, is it time to rethink how you do things?
- What does this look like?
- What is the most obvious complexity that has arisen due to growth that you think will hold you back?
- What could you do to address it?
3. COMPETENCIES Levels of a Growing Organisation
Growth brings the mighty challenge of competency deficiency. Often growth overwhelms an organisation without prior warnings and the skills, gifts and experience required seems to be missing. At one time you felt so well rounded and then when growth hits, you can feel like you're running around like a headless chicken!
- Can you identify 3 things that got you here, that won't get you there (wherever there is in your planning)?
- Could a strengths finder or 360 assessment help you assess where your team is at and identify the gaps?
- What will you do differently in the future to ensure you are competent for every growth advancement in your organisation?